BAIS Student Council Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BAIS Student Council Forum

Where Student Council members share their minds and passion for BAIS

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcoming New Students ideas

Go down 
+6
Mook Ratanapenchart
Eddie Shin
Minyoung Park
Bianca Fish
Wesley McKinley
So Yeon Yoo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
So Yeon Yoo

Welcoming New Students ideas Empty
PostSubject: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm

So I talked with Mrs. Berggren and she told me the idea that she had about welcoming new students. She said that it is the program that is happening in elementary right now. Her idea was not something related to icebreakers, but she called it the "BAIS Buddies". It is a program that includes greeting new students in the morning, introducing students in their grade, going to the the new student's first period class together, meeting them in break time, and making sure that he/ she has someone to eat lunch with. We might have to continue this for a few days or weeks until we see the new student hanging out well with with his/ her classmates.

I personally think this is a great program getting to know new students and helping them to fit into the group a little quicker and easier. For some people it might be a little harder to approach new students.

So any ideas? What do you think about this idea? Do you think doing this program and icebreakers is a good idea?
Back to top Go down
Wesley McKinley

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:45 pm

I like the idea but is all of it still relevant? By now the new students probably have a general idea of their classes. Other than that i loike the idea, just maybe we could change it up a bit since we are allready about two weeks into school.
Back to top Go down
So Yeon Yoo

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Yeah, I think that is true. Then, how do want it to be changed?
And do you think doing some welcoming game is a good idea?
Back to top Go down
Bianca Fish

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:03 pm

I think a game would be better because maybe the classes know who the new kids are in their own classes, but it is always nice to know who all of the new student in each grade.
Back to top Go down
Minyoung Park

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:27 pm

I agree with Wesley. I feel like because we are already on the second week of school, doing that buddy thing might make the student uncomfortable. Do they need it? That should be our question.
Back to top Go down
Eddie Shin

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 6:30 pm

yeah as minyoung said, since its been only two weeks of school, so they will probably feel uncomfortable about it.
It is actually a great idea, but i agree with bianca, the game might be easier to get closer to the new students.
Back to top Go down
Mook Ratanapenchart

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 pm

I agree with what Min Young said, getting the BAIS buddy thing started now might make the new students uncomfortable. So an icebreaker/game type things would be easier and not feel too forced
Back to top Go down
Bora Ha

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 7:46 pm

I think even if we were "in charge" of maybe couple new students each and just check up on them, that might be good. Just say hi or see how they are doing once a week.
We can't go to classes with them, but if we as stuco members were intentional about them, it will be good.
Back to top Go down
So Yeon Yoo

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 pm

Thank you for your thoughts about it! Yeah, I guess it might be quite uncomfortable if we do the "BAIS buddy" program right now since it has already been two weeks. But, I think Bora's idea is a great idea too. Just being intentional and approaching them first will be great. (Also what Ms. Blair said on the retreat.)

Now my question is, what kind of ideas do you have for the icebreakers? What kinds of games did we do last year?
Back to top Go down
Wesley McKinley

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Last year we were able to get an assembly schdeule for that day and use the assembly period to play games. We split up into random groups and rotated around different game stations. Some of the games included a balloon race, making sculptures out of bubles, and putting a seperated comic strip back together while each segment was taped to someones back. If a group finished their game they came up with other wuick games.
Back to top Go down
Wesley McKinley

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 4:52 pm

"quick" games
Back to top Go down
Mook Ratanapenchart

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm

If we're going to do the ice breaker again, let's make sure the games arent too short because last time people finished early while waiting for the rotations and they just kind of sat there. Some people played bunny bunny or ninja as well.
Back to top Go down
So Yeon Yoo

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Okay, sure.. If we are doing icebreakers, we should definitely prepare more.. But I talked to Ms. Blair today and she said planning an icebreaker is fine, but we should think of something that we will do constantly, maybe checking up on people. But is there any other ideas about this?
Back to top Go down
Paul Ha

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm against doing icebreakers. Icebreakers are often just party time/game time for people who already have made friends, I feel like. I just remember new students in my class last year didn't really want to stand out or do anything during the icebreakers, and it was all already-acquainted people that had fun.

Also, it's going to be a fuss to try to cram it into some date.
If we're trying to start an assembly schedule, it definitely won't be enough.
Group games actually consume quite a bit of time, and I remember last year we ran out of time.

I think that just StuCo checking up on new students would be great. It would also be really cool if we could set up the Bais Buddy system, but I don't really see how it might work out at this stage of the year. I was actually quite stunned when I heard that one of the new students was going to drop out because he/she isn't feeling "in" our school. So I feel like it's really important that we have some practical, effective strategies to helping new students out.
Back to top Go down
So Yeon Yoo

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Oh my goodness, are you serious Paul? Did he/ she already dropped out? I hope that student hasn't dropped out yet, so that we will have opportunities to talk to the student and make him/ her feel welcomed and know that he/she is part of BAIS!
Back to top Go down
So Yeon Yoo

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Sorry for delaying to upload the list of new students. I should have uploaded it before going on the AP bio trip.

Grade 9: No One
Grade 10: Maren
Karina
Catherine
Dong Yoon
Devan
Grade 11: No One
Grade 12: Zachary
Ninda

So, I guess we need to choose a person right?
Back to top Go down
Minyoung Park

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:21 am

Yes, we need to choose one person. We have 7 total. I'm willing to help Dong Yoon. But So Yeon, can you remind us again what our job is?
Back to top Go down
Eddie Shin

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 11:28 am

thanks for the list soyeon.
actually i already started trying to get close to Maren in 10th grade, so ithink i will choose Maren and Dongyoon.
Back to top Go down
Jennie Blair

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 5:59 pm

If possible, let's make sure that we have the same genders paired up. Eddie, it's totally fine to hang out with Maren, but for making StuCo pairs, let's make sure they are girl-girl, guy-guy. Make sense? Also, Karina is not at our school anymore. So there are just 6.
Back to top Go down
http://jen4him.wordpress.com
Eddie Shin

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 6:19 pm

oh okay ms blair. so is it okay if both minyoung and i hangout and help the same person, DongYooun?
Back to top Go down
Jennie Blair

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 7:37 pm

That is probably fine. You can ask SoYeon. She's in charge of making the assignments.
Back to top Go down
http://jen4him.wordpress.com
Luke Walker

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I agree with Paul. I like just how we would hang out with some of the new kids untill they get comfortable with another group of friends.

and if you are thinking of the girl in my class who is dropping out I heard that it was because her parents thought that bais was to easy for her.
Back to top Go down
Paul Ha

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 12:06 pm

I can hang out with Zach.
Back to top Go down
Bora Ha

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 3:20 pm

I can hang out with Maren, since I'm friends with her already. And I can hang out with Ninda too since I'm friends with her already and I'm in her class.
Back to top Go down
Wesley McKinley

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2011 8:42 pm

I've already been hanging out with Zach.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Welcoming New Students ideas   Welcoming New Students ideas Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welcoming New Students ideas
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next